August 12, 2009

Miss Sadie's Scarflette ~ A Free Knitting Pattern

scarfettes 039 by Fabricoleur
scarfettes 039, a photo by Fabricoleur on Flickr.
I'm very excited to be offering my first free pattern today! I hope you enjoy this quick, fun little knit! Please send any feedback as a pm to girlinsheepsclothing@gmail.com. Look for Miss Sadie's Scarflette on Ravelry, too! Happy Knitting!

Miss Sadie’s Scarflette is an alchemical combination of style and simplicity. It uses the simplest techniques in knitting and takes only a few hours to complete! Very warm and comfortable to wear, you can position your scarflette multiple ways for a different look, and there is little bulk in the back to get in the way of your coat, backpack or baby carrier!

sadie's scarflette
...additional views below...

Level: Easy – suitable for beginners

Size: One size fits most. To make the scarflette looser, knit a few inches longer than the recommended 19.5 inches. To make it tighter, knit fewer inches.

Yarn/Needles/Notions: Patons Soy Wool Solids (30% soy, 70% wool); 110 yards [100 meters] 80 grams): 2 balls; shown here in #70129 Natural Sky/Size US 15 (10 mm): straight/Yarn needle

Gauge: 10.5 sts and 20 rows = 4” [10 cm] in Garter Stitch worked with 2 strands held together

Abbreviations
CO – Cast on
Sl – Slip
Sts – Stitches
Rep – Repeat
K – Knit
K2tog – Knit 2 together
BO – Bind off

Pattern
CO 26 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1 as if to knit, K across.
Rep Row 1 until work measures 19.5 inches from cast-on edge.
BO 23 sts.
With 2 sts remaining on the left-hand needle, K2tog and BO final stitch leaving a 10” tail for seaming. Note: Knitting 2 together before binding off your last stitch provides a neatly squared-off corner.

Finishing
Lay scarflette out vertically in front of you. Seam 4.5 inches at the upper right edge to 4.5 inches of the lower left edge [see diagram below]. Once seamed, the scarflette will resemble a tube in the shape of a parallelogram. Weave in ends. Put on scarflette and fold down “lapels.” Position as desired and wear with style!

Miss Sadie's Scarflette Schematic

to the side

no bulk in back!

to everything...turn, turn, turn...

*cozy*

11 comments:

  1. I love it. So easy, quick and cute. I know what I am making all my friends for their next gifts! I am making mine tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so glad you are enjoying the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have now made 6 of them. (And I live in TX!) Each time I finish one I think it's going to be for me and then someone sees it and tells me how cute it is. I am such a sucker! I made one for my sister and then she asked for your link. I sent it to her the other day and she is finishing up her first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm so glad you told me ~ it brightens my day so much to hear from a happy knitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you it looks Nice and easy !! i gotta try next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to make it to cover the shoulders. What do you think? How long should it be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hola, me encantó, este cuellito, podrías decirme por favor que ancho tiene? muchas gracias!!!! gracielarte@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful work, congratulations!
    I also tried to do it:
    http://goo.gl/CvCNn5

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your photo! Looks wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. It' s pretty and easy!!! I love it!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete